Have you ever considered looking for a gaming sponsorship? With the popularity of gaming on the rise many successful and experienced gamers are turning to gaming sponsorships as a way to make money. Streamers and eSports are growing an enormous following making the gaming sponsorship industry more profitable than ever. If you are considering trying a hand in the industry, make sure to do your research and learn all there is to know about navigating the gaming sponsorship world.
Types of Gaming Sponsorships
One of the main things that you need to know before moving forward with trying to get a gaming sponsorship is the primary types of gaming sponsorships and what they actually are. Most folks who are new to sponsorships don’t even realize that there are different types that all have different levels of visibility into the company who is sponsoring you and different ways of payment.
1. Affiliate Code Sponsorship
Ever seen someone who you follow on social media, post a discount code for a specific product? They likely have an affiliate code sponsorship. This type of sponsorship entails the following:
- The sponsee receives a discount code from the business to promote on social media.
- The sponsee’s fans, friends, followers can use the code to purchase the businesses products at a discounted price.
- Depending on the actual agreement, the sponsee will receive commission or rewards (sometimes free merchandise) for each sale that is made using the discount code that they promoted.
This type of sponsorship is very beneficial for the sponsee, company and consumer because all three get something out of this deal. As the sponsee, it is a great way to see the reward for the work that you do.
2. Hybrid Sponsorship
Thinking you might want an upgrade or step up from the affiliate code sponsorship? Then the hybrid sponsorship might be just for you. Are you or your gaming team considered to be mid-level influencers who have a decent amount of followers? You may actually have a shot at obtaining a hybrid sponsorship.
This type of sponsorship contains everything that the affiliate code sponsorship does except for the company will usually provide a more significant discount code solely to the sponsee and their team. There is also an additional side to this sponsorship that businesses may include, which is merchandise for potential giveaways to bring more attention to their business and items.
In order to be considered a decent enough influencer or eSports team, there are a few requirements that you must meet:
- 10,000+ active followers on your social media
- Recently attended gaming tournaments
- Considered to be semi-pro
You may find that your affiliate code sponsorship can grow to become a hybrid sponsorship over time depending on the business that you are working with of course.
3. Pure Sponsorship
This is the ultimate goal for sponsorship. When picturing being sponsored, most people are thinking of this type. This sponsorship can be defined as receiving a large amount of monthly paybacks either in free items, monetary or the business promotes the sponsee.
In order to qualify for this type of sponsorship, you must be considered the pro-level with a huge following.
Do you Need Help Identifying Who to Work With?
Deciding whom you would like to work with and becoming a sponsee can feel like a daunting task. Once you feel fit for the qualifications in order to become a sponsee, ask yourself the following questions before reaching out to businesses.
1. What is your platform?
It is incredibly important that you make sure what you promote send the right message to your current followers.
2. Have you or would you actually use the products that you are promoting?
If you answer is no to both then you may not want to be promoting this company. You need to make sure that you feel comfortable with what you are putting out there for others to buy.
The Do’s and Don’ts When Trying to Obtain a Gaming Sponsorship
There are many do’s and don’ts when applying to any job, but when trying to get a gaming sponsorship you really need to pay extra attention to how you are portraying yourself in all aspects.
1. Pay special attention to your proposal.
2. Locate the right person who will pay the most attention to you in the business.
3. Follow-up with a ‘thank you’.
1. Drag on with your proposal. Basically, keep it to the point.
2. Sell yourself short. Ask for the amount of money that you know you deserve.
3. Promise something that you know you can’t achieve.
If obtaining a gaming sponsorship is your dream, no matter what sponsorship you are aiming for, make sure to put your best foot forward and never give up. Doing what you love while getting paid for it is the best of both worlds.